ANSWER-ME
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
NABLA

Blankets for sound dampening/baffling Empty Blankets for sound dampening/baffling

Fri May 25, 2018 7:06 pm
Hey kids. I'm back again wif another random question 'cuz you guys always give great answers. And make me laugh too.

I've been looking for some of those heavy-duty blankets (the ones you typically see movers using) for various uses in both my home studio and my commercial studio. I found these, and they seemed like a pretty good deal, especially if I buy them in the 6-pack, as I'll save $80 that way.

But I've also been planning a move, and while looking for some packing materials online, I found these.

Now, the first page I linked claims the "Producer's Choice Blanket" has a special stitch pattern and is stuffed with a sound-absorbing cotton material. The only two pieces of information on the second page I can use to compare the two blankets is the weight & size: the Producer's Blanket weighs 11 lbs and the basic moving blanket weighs about 7.5 lbs. The sizes are different as well: the Producer's Blanket is 96"x80" whereas the moving blanket is 72"x80", so the latter is about two feet smaller.

Considering the difference in size, I would imagine the two blankets would weigh about the same if the sizes were the same. My question is, does anyone think the Producer's Blanket is worth the extra money? Will it *really* make that much of a difference compared to the basic moving blanket?

Thanks in advance!
KIOYT

Blankets for sound dampening/baffling Empty Re: Blankets for sound dampening/baffling

Fri May 25, 2018 7:08 pm
Before someone jumps on the "Oh, gawd, not another blanket post" bandwagon, I'd like to just say that acoustic treatment normally comes from density and thickness. The denser material will stop more sound. The thicker, the lower the tone. Having said that...If you're fighting a specific high frequency that these might help decrease; if you're fighting flutter echo and need something for temporary hang in the middle of the room; if your using them to make smaller spaces, you might have a use for them.
But for $40 a pop, you could build gobos with 4" 703 or 705 or Roxul. Just as a quick look, you can get a 6 pack of 2" x2x4 703 for $70 (which would make 4" units about $23 a piece plus some lumber and $1 material from Wal-Mart or some craft place). Making them into gobos is as easy as adding feet to the bottom of the rack so they don't fall over.
GABIYA

Blankets for sound dampening/baffling Empty Re: Blankets for sound dampening/baffling

Fri May 25, 2018 7:10 pm
"Oh, gawd, not another blanket post"!!!

Johnny - those 'producer blankets' have been discussed here - someone "not associated" with the place linked them somewhere or other.
They are WAY overpriced. Do you have Harbor Freight anywhere near you? They carry the standard moving blankets for about $5 each.
If your room is otherwise untreated and you have a flutter echo problem, then some blankets may help a little. I bought one and experiemented with it behind me (blocking reverberation from sheetrock wall) and could hear no difference at all in my recordings. If my computer ever gets noisy, now I've got something I can throw over it while I record. Or if I ever need to move a fridge.
OMBAH

Fri May 25, 2018 7:11 pm
Yup, Habor Freight is a better value, I got mine for $7 each.
Better to get more of the HF blankets them and double up with an air gap.
Bomerang

Just so everyone is on the same page here I picked up some of these blankets and the will work like you guys stated in a quick pinch but these are not nearly as dense as moving blankets used by movers. Density being a big deal here, I'd actually spend some money on some good thick blankets for that odd emergency situation, which is almost every situation for me.
DOPOINT

Thanks much, gents; it's just as I expected: the Producer's Blankets are a ripoff. Good to know!

I already have quite a bit of treatment in my little home studio; I was looking into the blankets as a way of muffling noise from windows in my place such that I could hang them when tracking and remove them when I need natural light to remind me to stop working and eat or sleep, etc. Haha.

I'm a BIG FAN of the Roxul Safe N' Sound as well as the Roxul Rockboard 60, which is a GREAT substitute for OC 701 (which I believe is no longer manufactured; if it is, I've had one hell of a time sourcing it) as it's much cheaper; a tiny bit sturdier; and has better absorption co-efficients than OC 701. But that's been fairly hard to source as well; the only place I can find it is from a company called ATS Acoustics. They sell it online for about $40/6-pack, but the shipping costs SUCK. Fortunately, ATS is housed in a small town only about 90 minutes from where I live in Chicago, so I can just go pick it up and avoid the ridiculous shipping costs.

Thanks again guys, and I'm sorry I re-posted an evidently beaten-to-death topic; didn't realize there were other threads about the blankets. But I really appreciate the responses.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum